Not much hibernating at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center! We were so close to so many awesome animals!
If you’ve never been to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center (AWCC) during the winter, I highly recommend it!
It was so peaceful walking around AWCC, it had snowed a couple days prior and everything was so beautiful!
This big guy is Snickers. Never in my life did I think a porcupine could be adorable (even with those teeth!), but he won my heart! He acted like a little puppy and I was a little sad I couldn’t pet him. I will have to visit him again soon!
There were a few moose, and a heard of elk.
I really enjoyed watching the bears!
My daughter was super excited to see the Sitka Blacktail Deer. They’re not native to our area, so we don’t have the opportunity to see them in the wild.
Last but not least, we have my beloved wolves. I probably took 100 photos of them, but I’ll only post this one.
There were more animals than I have pictured- Lynx, black bear, another porcupine, a bald eagle, and I believe there is caribou(we didn’t see any.)
All in all, we loved our time at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. We will be back many times!
Operating Hours for 2017, Open Rain or Shine:
- January: 11 am to 4 pm
- February: 11 am to 6 pm
- March & April: 10 am to 6 pm
- May through September: 8 am to 8 pm
- October: 10 am to 6 pm
- November & December: 11 am to 4 pm
- CLOSED: Thanksgiving, November 24th, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
- $15 Adults
- $10 Kids 7-17
- Free for kids 0-6
- $12 seniors 65 and Older
- $12 Active Military (Check with ITT on base for special pricing)
- There are also membership pricing if you will be visiting often
Included with your admission are:
- Free animal programs (Upon your arrival, check on the whiteboard outside of the gift shop and on the BEARS boardwalk for specific times and locations.)
- Watch animals being fed (Times can be found here)
- Free narrated tours– hour long shuttle tours in summer and early September.
Mile 79 Seward Highway
Portage, Alaska 99587